Romans 8:29

"For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers."

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Wow!


Wow. So this Discipleship Training School has been one of the best things for me. Even as a staff member, simply being present for the lectures has caused so much thought and heart-change. 

Being in a place of leadership, too, has helped me grow in maturity and the challenge that people are watching how I walk is sobering. Too long had I worked in ministry and only haphazardly pursued a friendship with God. "Too long" was actually only 9 months of being on staff, but far too much time to only be focused on looking after numero uno. In a house of a dozen men, there's more motivation to get up early and have a quiet time. Both because it sets a good example, and also because Lord knows I need it.

Nexia Outreach leaders
From left - Jessi, Heidi, Me, Mike
The lecture phase is over half over now! Outreach is coming up fast, and I'll update you all on that soon. But I wanted to say that I'm growing and changing, that the couple dozen other people in this community are growing and changing to be more like Jesus. It is largely due to prayer and intentional acts. That's a decent amount of what we do - pray, and intentionally seek ways to encourage growth. By "growth" I'm implying a personal, passionate relationship with Jesus, the Savior, and the journey that inevitably accompanies being best friends with the holiest Being in the universe.

I find so much joy in this! It's work with reward and a sense of fulfillment I couldn't find almost anywhere else. The most significant thing that's happened to me recently is a deeper love for Jesus. I'm finding that, more and more, he's the apple of my eye.

Anyway, here's a poem I wrote during worship yesterday.

Jesus! 
Saying your name makes me smile inside
Jesus! 
Your love and your grace make me lighter in stride
Jesus! 
There is no other name that touches my soul
Jesus! 
There’s no other one who makes me feel whole

I see your beauty throughout my days
Your peace and joy clear away the haze
I wave goodbye to fear, doubt and strife, cause
To know you, God, is eternal life


No comments:

Post a Comment