Romans 8:29

"For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers."

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Deuteronomy 4 - What My Eyes Have Seen

Several things stuck out to me in the 4th chapter of the awesome book of Deuteronomy and really resonated truth in me, as I was even able to see in my life how God's character has revealed itself, that unchanging character that has reigned for all of time, both thousands of years ago and today.

First: "For what great nation is there that has a god so near to it as the LORD our God is to us, whenever we call upon him? ... Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children's children..." (v. 7, 9)

Is God so close to me whenever I call upon him? Maybe he was close to Israel, or Moses, but to think that he is similarly close to me is something else entirely.

No, James. Draw near to me, and I will draw near to you.


Wow! Okay, then, now where am I? Well let's take a moment to look back at my life, lest I forget the things that my eyes have seen, and lest they depart from my heart. I have not seen a sea part, water come from a rock, or food raining down from heaven, but I have been delivered into a safe childhood, loving family, lasting friends, and an unshakable faith in God.

I haven't seen a burning bush, but I have heard and felt a distinct calling to both deliver people and to bring peace into their lives. I've seen supernatural, physical healing where some other force penetrated this world and worked joints and muscles into their proper place.

I never saw a mountain shake and tremble with fear, but I have felt a distinctly loving and powerful person tickle me deep inside my flesh, leaving me with no other option but to laugh! Laugh and shake my head, wondering what I did to deserve God's attention.

And time would fail for me to mention that he is a jealous God, and how he has demonstrated that to me, or even the deep and mystical word, covenant, which he has promised to never forget, because of his mercy.

Please read Deuteronomy 4 and let God show you what he has done for you, and how his heart is jealous for you, for your attention and devotion. He is a consuming fire, so whatever you give him he will take. You may lose something precious, like a falsity you have clung to, but it will be worth it, I promise. Above anything I have experienced in my short life so far, I have felt fulfillment, joy, and peace. And those don't rust or become obsolete.

3 comments:

  1. So good James! I finished reading Deuteronomy a couple weeks ago and God just spoke so much to me through it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you James. Lead on brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clicking on the "like" button in my heart.

    ReplyDelete