Romans 8:29

"For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers."

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Satisfy us in the morning

"Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days." Ps. 90:14

Mornings have always been refreshing for me. (I like dusk a lot, especially in Summer. But that's for other reasons, which I may comment on another day.) When I sleep in real late, I feel like I missed something. But when I'm up early, or even too early, I can't help but smile. Despite my tiredness, I am happy. I am content because the day is still open to whatever may happen. I haven't made any mistakes yet. I can be an encouraging man today. Make others feel special. But mostly, there's a freshness that is found in no other time of day.

Reading this psalm gets me thinking about God, and how amazing it is that he satisfies us not just for the current day of the calendar, but also for every day that I will live on this earth, and the endless ones to come after life on this planet is over.

And with what does he satisfy us? With his power or his insistence on discipline? Though those things are irreplaceable, he satisfies in the morning with something else. With his love! With his steadfast, unfailing, neverending love.

And why? So that we can be more efficient beings, better at keeping things in line, perfect, and under control? Nay! That we may rejoice and be glad all our days!  That we may sing for joy and be glad every single day of our lives. That we may live free lives! Free of condemnation, free of the oh-so-many plaguing fears we have, free of the evil, cunning voice that whispers perfection is the only way we're good enough, and free of the now-defeated charge that we are still guilty of our sins. Freedom from that into something greater: life and life abundantly.

From now on, if I'm feeling down, I will ask myself if it's possible to sing for joy. If the answer is "No," then I will ask if I'm satisfied by God's everlasting love. If I'm satisfied by his intense care for my well-being. If the answer is still "No," then I have to alter my schedule a bit and spend some time waiting on God, listening to him. Letting him satisfy me.

I would encourage you that joy is possible and attainable. But it does not stem from ourselves; our minds or our souls or spirits. We haven't the strength to do this genuinely for more than a week, or even a day. But this should be encouraging, because if you're really seeking joy and peace, you can look to an outside Force who is more than willing to give it to you. It comes as a reward for your faith in the One God who is the Savior, Jesus. Let the darkest part of the night make way for Light, which is just waiting to show itself. You cannot stop the sunrise. If you're sensing some change coming and you see stars fade, shadows weaken, and colors emerge, embrace the rays that are dying to dive into your heart. Choose Joy.

4 comments:

  1. I think being satisfied is a matter of choice--I need to be content with the sufficiency that I have. As westerners it is easy to always want one more thing. Advertising tells us that we have to have the latest gadget. But God tells us that we will really only be satisfied when we rest in his love.

    And that really is true. The latest iDevice isn't going to make me fulfilled. But God's love will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a good thing to read as I begin my day. Thanks, James.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff Al! You're welcome Aaron - my pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was very encouraging to me. I've been reading the Psalms lately, and challenged by the authors' perspective of the goodness of God no matter what.

    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete