Romans 8:29

"For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers."

Monday, January 23, 2012

Outreach Update!


Photos by Heidi Jarva
The orphanage has perhaps 20 kids, ranging from 2 years old to university students, with a large chunk being in the 8-12 range. They are all full of life and energy, and all seem very happy to have us around. We are in a remote area, outside the town of Non Som Boon, near Nang Bua Lamphu, in NE Thailand. Needless to say, we're not hitting the movie theaters on our days off.

We were warmly received a couple weeks ago by the children singing us a song as our vehicle pulled into the parking space. Since then we have conducted our evening English programs and painted 3 of the buildings a sky blue. A couple days a week we travel to different schools to entertain the Thai students (elementary schools so far) with English lessons, games, songs, more games, a gospel explanation, and after another game or two, a drama.

Besides the programs and the schedule, I've been quite surprised by how quickly we were loved and accepted by all the kids. There are several boys who are fascinated by arm hair, leg hair, and one has even discovered the hair under my arms. Haan and Tong, 12 and 13, especially come to me when I'm around and hold my hands, lean on me and smile at me. In Thai culture, and in many Asian countries, there's nothing unusual about guys being touchy with each other. I don't know these brothers' story, but they ended up here and so probably don't have parents. So I decided I would get close to them.




(Check out this map! You can move it around and change it to Satellite, etc.)\
View Larger Map

It was perhaps easier said than done. For the first week I was worried because I simply didn't know what to do around the boys, or even children! I'm tied for the youngest in my family, and didn't spend any time helping in Sunday School growing up. I lack experience. But I was encouraged by another staff to just be myself! They're not looking for a performance, just someone to be with. That helped immensely! Since then I have been much more at ease.
Teaching English to Han and Tong - brothers

It's also got me thinking about something a friend of mine, Aaron, said once after a trip to Thailand. The father figure is lacking in so many kids here, what they need is for a man to be there, wrestle with them, play with them, smile at them, and just be a man to them! One who cares and is involved, even for a short time.

Outside the orphanage, we have seen several people healed, when parts of our team go out and evangelize to people in nearby towns. The DTS students have been stepping up to the microphone and stepping onto the ledge, offering prayer and describing their love for Jesus to people who, through prayer beforehand, God had highlighted to them (ie: a woman with teeth died black, a house behind a tower/spike, and other little clues that came to pass in shocking detail. These revealed people were fortunately open to the gospel and accepted prayer).

God is moving amongst the 7 students, we 4 staff, the orphanage students and staff, and in the region where we live. We have another week and some here, and then onto Pattaya for the final 3 weeks of outreach. We will continue working with children and likely a ministry that helps women trapped in the sex industry.

2 comments:

  1. To quote the sign currently up at my church here in Ontario, "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Glad you're there, being you.

    ReplyDelete